Sunday, May 29, 2011

walkway over the hudson

The other day my husband and I took a stroll along the Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park which links the City of Poughkeepsie (Dutchess County, NY) with the Town of Lloyd (Ulster County, NY).   Before the walkway became the world's longest elevated pedestrian bridge...it was known as the Poughkeepsie-Highland Railroad Bridge.  In 1974 it was crippled by a fire and fell into disrepair.  In October 2009, the bridge re-opened as the Walkway State Park after a two year construction effort.
maps to take as you start across!
When we got there we were happy to see there was plenty of free parking.  Walkway Ambassadors and volunteers were also available with maps and to offer visitors information.  There were even places to buy a snack if you wanted to take a break after your walk across!  Oh....and leashed dogs are welcome!
Tom & Mel ready to go!
along the way pictures are posted showing the transformation from rail to trail

looking out over the Hudson River
Mid-Hudson Bridge

flag at the center of the walkway....we turned back here on this chilly spring day :)

Oh, and I took these photos again with my current favorite i-phone app....Hipstamatic!  It was a fairly grey day, so the camera/lense I was using actually really helped give my pictures a little extra pop!  Such a fun app to play with!  

2 comments:

  1. great photos! i really love the bridge ones. and your dog is so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun. What a fabulous, fantastic view! I have a friend (she's on L.I, I'm in Vermont) who wants to meet half way and do this walk. I am definitely going to put this on the Things to Do This Summer list.
    Thanks for sharing your photos!
    Cute husband:)
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

i "heart" your comments ♥