Saturday, October 16, 2010

life as a square

I am professionally trained as a photographer (among other things).  When I spent my years at RISD, I majored in photography and was drawn to the medium format films and cameras, mainly because of the square frame and the square crop of an image.  As I explained to my students this summer, I was trained in photography before there was digital photography...something that is quite hard for the youth today to grasp.  Therefore, there was no cropping of images on a computer or instant viewing of what you shot like there is with a digital camera.  You got what you got, and dealt with it later in the darkroom.  That is actually what I loved and still do love so much about analog photography and film.  Capturing an image on film, and then the waiting, the anticipation, and surprise of what will come out, or what sometimes doesn't come out.  For my birthday this summer, Tom gave me a Diana mini.  I love it!  The mini is great because it takes 35 mm film, which can be developed at most local pharmacies and the processing isn't too expensive.  Also, even though it uses 35mm film, the camera internally crops the usual rectangle to a square, so you still get the square frame of the 120 film that the regular Diana takes!  These are some of my favorites from the summer...
tom's car climbing mt. washington

cliff jumpers...lake placid

hot dog, lake placid

earl...bradley beach, nj

feathered friend

dan, tom & spot (getting a free ride)

keith, tom, hope & spot

tent city

old truck...bradley beach, nj

I currently have my first roll of 800 speed film in the camera.  
Can't wait to see how it comes out!



1 comment:

i "heart" your comments ♥