Friday, August 20, 2010

sock monkeys & so much more!


Last weekend I visited one of the Antiques Garage Flea Markets in NYC.  What a place!  I went to the one located on West 25th St. between 5th and 6th, and it is indeed, in a parking garage.  The second location is the Hells Kitchen Flea Market, located at West 39th St., between 9th and 10th.  The West 25th St. Market is 2 floors of of vendors and collectors selling all kinds of wares, basically anything and everything you can imagine. Most vendors had a "no photography policy"...so I suppose you will have to take my word on it for now and add the garage to your own "list" of places to drop into when in the NY area.  I personally have been on a mission this summer to knock some places off my "list" of places I have been wanting to visit and even re-visit.  Living in the burbs, and having worked in the city, people tend to think you have seen and done it all...not true!  With a city like Manhattan, rich with culture, it is constantly changing and evolving.  Museums and galleries change shows monthly, new restaurants pop up weekly, and stores open and close daily!  There is always something new and exciting do.


 I was quite taken by this sweet selection of vintage, hand made, sock monkeys just waiting for a new home inside the garage.  Sock monkeys have always been a stuffed "friend" I have been fond of.  Their sweet and quirky demeanor make just about everyone smile.  In doing a little research, I found out that sock monkeys (and other sock animals) were first crafted in the early 1900's when mothers started transforming Red Heel socks that were made by The Nelson Knitting Mills in Rockford, Illinois.



Today, new sock monkeys can still be purchased.  However... I have seen fresh, new, hand made takes, (all from amazing etsy artists below), on the classic Red Heel Sock Monkeys that are just as sweet and lovable.  


Marco the Sock Monkey from The Monkey Factory



Handmade Sock Monkey from Super Sock Monkeys



Bling Angora Sock Monkey from Indy & Cleo



Socktopus from Friends of Socktopus



Mischievous Mustache Monkey from Friends of Socktopus


Prefer to make your own? The Sock Drawer has several fun DIY kits!

Which one is your favorite?  A hard choice I know!



2 comments:

  1. WOW! I LOVE this post full of SO much sock monkey goodness!!! You have some truly amazing flea markets to visit in NYC, sounds like such a fun shopping day! Thank you for including my BLING Angora Sock Monkey in this lovable post!! ♥xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. BLING is my fave of Indy's sock monkeys, and you've given me another fave with the sock-topus!! Such cute picks and fun facts too :)

    ~*Erin MacMahon*~
    organize~design~create
    www.eri059.etsy.com
    http://niftygiftyguides.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

i "heart" your comments ♥